Steven Moffat Leaves Doctor Who: An Incoherent Reaction
So, in the last hour, I discovered that Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat has quit and been replaced by Chris Chibnall. This timeline roughly sums up my reaction.
- Oh my God, it’s finally over. There are no comaparisons to make to my relief that wouldn’t be offensively hyperbolic and also entirely accurate.
- If someone is fucking with me on this, I honestly and very literally cannot be held responsible for my actions.
- I’m already feeling a little bit melancholy about it, because I’ve written so many terrible things about Steven Moffat’s tenure on the show over the years that I’m worried I’ve hurt his feelings. I STILL LOVE THE EMPTY CHILD STEVEN.
- Not that melancholy though. I’m pouring myself a glass of wine and going through the Twitter reactions.
- Huh, guess I should check what else Chris Chibnall has written. To Wikipedia!
- Broadchurch- good. Some of the last season of Torchwood- concerning. Some of the early seasons of Torchwood-encouraging.
- I don’t recognise the names of any of his Doctor Who episodes and it’s causing me something of an identity crisis.
- Oh yeah, those episodes. About the things. And stuff. All of them are bad to okay.
- That’s probably not a good sign.
- But if Steven Moffat wrote great standalone episodes under other showrunners and had a pretty terrible tenure showrunning himself, maybe that means Chris Chibnall will have a great run? Maybe that’s how this works?
- Oh, I have to wait till 2018 to find out anyway. That’s so far in the future that I’ll probably be dead, or at the very least living in Glasgow.
- Apparently Steven Moffat is spending a full year building up to his epic final season, and frankly this worries me deeply. I mean, if he thought season nine- in all it’s violently awful glory-was epic, I am sort of grotesquely looking forward to the note he sends himself out on.
- A chorus line of high-kicking Osgoods and Weeping Angels, no doubt. Nah, that might actually be fun.
- But I’m getting distracted! Time to lull in my warm bubble of happiness for a few days.
- And re-watch all of series nine. Just to remind myself that while things might not get better, they surely can’t get worse.